After using several search engine optimization plugins, I realized the value of comparing Rank Math vs. Yoast for WordPress. While both tools have cult-like followings, I found some key differences in how they work and their pricing structures.
Here’s an in-depth breakdown of the two most popular WordPress plugins:
Rank Math SEO vs. Yoast for WordPress Summarized
Yoast has been around since 2010. Since its development, this WordPress SEO plugin has become the most popular option available.
I even completed Yoast’s On-Page SEO course during the early days of my cannabis SEO career. This was my introductory course in SEO, and I’d recommend it to anyone who’s just starting.
While Yoast has more clout with over 288 million downloads, it’s no longer the only option for quality SEO on WordPress. Various other plugins are gaining traction, with Rank Math being one of the most popular.
Rank Math launched in late 2018. But this WordPress SEO plugin was in development for several years prior.
Even though Rank Math is newer, the WordPress development team behind it – MyThemeShop – is well-established.
Since launching, Rank Math has expanded its presence substantially. As the second-most popular WordPress SEO plugin, it went from zero to over half a million installs within the first two years of its existence.
Rank Math vs. Yoast Features
Let’s begin this Rank Math vs Yoast for WordPress comparison with each plugin’s features. Looking at the features available in the free options for Rank Math and Yoast SEO, Rank Math clearly has more to offer. However, this doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll use all the extra features.
- Create SEO Titles & Meta Descriptions
- Control Social Media Descriptions
- Conduct Focus Keyword Analysis for Multiple Keywords
- Customizable XML Sitemap
- Structured Data & Schema
- Search Console
- Local SEO & Knowledge Graph
- Image SEO
- Internal Link Suggestions
- Link Counter for On-Site Content
- 301 & 302 Redirects
- 404 Monitor & Redirector
- Google Analytics Integration
- Basic WooCommerce SEO
- Keyword Rank Tracking
- Google Trends Integration
- Google Video SEO Sitemap
- Google News SEO Sitemap
- Multiple Locations for Local SEO
- Additional Pre-defined Schema Types (20+)
- Google AdSense Earning History
- Automatically Watermark Social Media Images
Since all of these features are modular, Rank Math also makes it easy to disable any features you don’t plan to use.
- Set SEO Titles & Meta Descriptions
- Customizable XML Sitemap
- Focus Keyword Analysis (for just one keyword)
- Sitewide Schema Markup
- Custom Content Schema Type & Sitewide Default
- Search Console Verification
- Create Social Media Descriptions
- Basic WooCommerce SEO
- Cornerstone Content Markup
- On-Site Content Link Counter
- 301 & 302 Redirect Manager
- Internal Link Suggestions
- Internal Link Blocks
- Multiple Focus Keywords
- Related Keyphrases
Yoast also has some additional paid add-ons that cater to certain types of SEO. However, most of these features are also available in Rank Math’s premium plugin:
- Local SEO
- Video SEO
- News SEO
- WooCommerce SEO (Advanced)
Rank Math vs. Yoast Setup Process
Rank Math Setup
Rank Math’s setup wizard makes basic feature configuration straightforward. Users also have the option to link a free Rank Math account for additional free features. While you don’t need to connect it to use the plugin, this will allow you to unlock the available features.
The Rank Math setup wizard offers options for basic and advanced users. You’ll be able to configure the following using this wizard:
- Basic Schema Information
- Google Analytics & Google Search Console Integrations
- XML Sitemap
- Other Basic Settings
You’ll also have the option to set up advanced options, such as:
- Role Manager
- 404 Error Monitoring
- Detailed Schema Markup Settings
Once you complete the setup wizard, the module manager launches. This shows all features and allows you to:
- Enable or Disable Modules
- Configures All Enabled Modules
Keep in mind that in Easy Mode, all available modules will not show up. However, Advanced Mode will give you access to all modules.
Yoast SEO Setup
Similar to Rank Math, Yoast SEO has a configuration wizard. But you’ll launch this from the WordPress toolbar.
Yoast’s wizard guides users through its most important settings, including:
- Basic Sitewide Schema Data
- Site Indexing
- SEO Title Templates
Rank Math vs. Yoast User Interface
If you’re using the WordPress block editor, Rank Math offers full integration. This bypasses the “meta box” approach as you use the Classic editor.
Rank Math’s settings are easily accessible; click its settings icon located on the Toolbar. You’ll notice four tabs of settings, including:
- General – Set your focus keyword, edit snippet details, and view analysis.
- Advanced – Set up your robot meta information.
- Schema – Set your schema markup and structured data.
- Social – Set your social graph information for Twitter and Facebook.
Rank Math also has a handy Analytics interface. With the Pro version, you’ll be able to track your:
- Search Console Reports (also available in the Free version)
- Keyword Rankings & Performance
- Google Analytics Traffic Statistics
On the other hand, Yoast SEO allows users to configure SEO information while working in the editor on each piece of content. A meta box is located under the editor, shown in the block editor and classic editor.
You’ll notice a new Yoast SEO option in the editor sidebar for those using the block editor. You can choose between the meta box and the sidebar option.
In the editor side bar interface, you’ll have the following tabs:
- Readability Analysis
- SEO Analysis
- Add Related Keyphrase
- Google Preview
- Facebook Preview
- Twitter Preview
- Cornerstone Content
Each section expands to see more information. The preview options also allow you to check your snippet information in a popup format.
The meta box is a bit different. This appears under the editor and has four columns, including:
- SEO – Set your titles and descriptions, perform a keyword analysis, and control advanced SEO settings like canonical links and robot tags.
- Readability – Look over the readability analysis tips to improve your content.
- Schema – Pick a schema type for each piece of content.
- Social – Set your open graph information for Twitter and Facebook.
Rank Math vs. Yoast for Keyword Analysis
Keyword analysis is available for both Rank Math and Yoast SEO. Both plugins let you add keywords to target and offer content analyses to reveal optimization issues and suggest changes.
Ultimately, this comes down to personal preference regarding the interface and approach. However, the free version of Rank Math allows users to analyze multiple keywords. This version of Yoast only lets users analyze a single keyword.
Rank Math vs. Yoast Pricing
WordPress.org has both Rank Math and Yoast SEO available for free. Both developers also offer premium versions with additional features for a price.
Rank Math’s premium version is more budget-friendly than Yoast SEO’s. Here’s why:
- Rank Math’s top-tier pricing is less than Yoast’s.
- Rank Math’s premium plan offers support for unlimited websites; Yoast SEO does not have an unlimited license available.
- Rank Math has a single premium plan that includes all features; Yoast SEO has multiple premium extensions to purchase separately.
Rank Math Premium Version Plans
- Pro – $59 for special offer, normally $129 – This plan is for unlimited personal websites and allows you to track up to 1,000 keywords.
- Business – $199 for special offer, normally $429 – This plan is for use on unlimited personal and client websites, making it perfect for SEOs. It also allows users to track up to 20,000 keywords.
YOAST SEO Premium Version Plans
Yoast SEO has two premium offerings. The core premium plugin gives access to some features, including but not limited to multiple keyword analyses and internal link suggestions. This costs $99 per year to use on one website. However, Yoast offers discounts for multi-site licenses (from 5% off for 2+ sites to 50% off for 150+ sites).
Premium extensions for certain types of SEO are available, too. Here are Yoast’s other offerings:
- Video SEO for WordPress – Starting at $79 annually for one site.
- Local SEO for WordPress – Starting at $79 annually for one site.
- News SEO for WordPress – Starting at $79 annually for one site.
- Yoast WooCommerce SEO – Starting at $79 annually for one site.
You can also buy all five plugin options for $229 annually.
Final Verdict on Rank Math vs. Yoast for WordPress
Rank Math and Yoast SEO are great options for WordPress users looking to improve their SEO. However, Rank Math’s free version offers more features than Yoast SEO’s free version.
Additionally, Rank Math’s top-tier pricing is more budget-friendly than Yoast SEO’s. For these reasons, we believe Rank Math is the better option for those looking to enhance their site’s SEO.
Remember, this could come down to personal preference; you might prefer Yoast SEO over Rank Math due to the interface. You might also like Yoast better because of its specific SEO options.