If you’re a small business owner, you’re aware that you could use a lead generation plugin for your WordPress website—but that’s where your certainty stops. After all, which one is the best?
To help us all out, here’s a compilation of the best-value WordPress lead generation plugins as we enter 2023.
But before you peruse the list below, you’ll want to take a moment to reflect on your unique business needs.
- What to Look For in a Lead Generation Plugin for Your WordPress Website
- 10 Best Lead Generation WordPress Plugins for Growing Your Email List
- Find the best WordPress plugins for your website on WPhub
What to Look For in a Lead Generation Plugin for Your WordPress Website
Ideally, in a WordPress lead generation plug-in, you want it all, for free, at the touch of a button.
But, let’s be real—there are always trade-offs. If you want feature-rich, you may not get the fastest plug-in. If you’re after the most versatile, you may not pay the lowest price.
Also, you should consider the integrations with your customer relationship management software (CRM) or email service provider (ESP).
(To be fair, there’s not just one way to crack an egg, or design an awesome plug-in!)
At the end of the day, it’s up to you to decide what’s most important to you and your website.
So, what’s your top priority?
Maybe it’s simplicity or price. Precise colors and design. Popups galore. Gamification features. Or how about robust analytics and testing? (After all, marketing data management should always be an important consideration.)
Think about what makes the most sense for you and your business. Make your shortlist of priorities. Then, peruse the list below and let the best option jump right out at you!
10 Best Lead Generation WordPress Plugins for Growing Your Email List
After attracting people to your business with great social campaigns or the latest in SEO, the backbone of building an online business is collecting email addresses. So that’s what we’ll focus on in the plug-ins listed here.
If you prefer the freedom of design in your business, this plugin is for you.
Simpler and more cost-efficient for unlimited websites than the other top plug-ins, Convert Pro might just be the best overall value for WordPress users.
- Multi-step popups, mini-quizzes, and other lead-gen tools
- Drag and drop editor including free canvas design
- White label (for client sites)
- Schedule the start and end of opt-in forms
- A/B testing
- Integrations with major ESPs and Google Analytics
- Advanced behavioral triggers
|Design freedom||May conflict with some other themes|
|Super fast and stable||No built-in analytics|
|Unlimited site traffic||No free version|
|Lifetime pricing option||No lightbox animations|
|4-day trial period|
|Use it on unlimited websites|
Convert Pro has annual and lifetime plans. The plans include Convert Pro ($99 annual, $399 lifetime) and Growth Bundle ($249 annual, $1249 lifetime).
Designed by Thrive Themes, Thrive Leads is a WordPress-specific plugin with an emphasis on conversion and list-building.
It stands out most for its comprehensiveness, its ability to let you design ANY kind of opt-in form you can imagine, and its Smart links feature, which lets you show unique offers to current email subscribers.
- Tons of premade templates
- Drag and drop editor
- Advanced visitor targeting including Smart links
- Mobile specific forms
- Advanced A/B testing
- Built-in analytics
- Asset delivery
- Advanced form building
|Considered by many to be the best lead generation WordPress plugin in terms of power and versatility||Can be confusing to navigate all the Thrive terminology|
|Optin types include screen-filling overlays, 2-step opt-ins, floating ribbons, and content upgrades||No campaign scheduling|
|Limited number of websites|
|No free version|
$99/year for one site, or for $299/year, you can join the Thrive Suite (featuring 8 other plugins/services) which gives you access to 5 sites.
One of the older, bigger names in WordPress lead generation plug-ins, OptinMonster still stands out for its robust targeting and triggers.
It’s particularly suited to e-commerce sites, agencies, and small businesses that are serious about growing their email list or managing client accounts.
- Wide variety of popups, campaigns, and other lead gen tools
- Advanced targeting of visitors and return visitors
- Advanced integrations with ESPs and CRMS
- Abandoned Cart
- Rich selection of templates
- A/B testing
- Geolocation targeting
- Create client sub-accounts
|New features are regularly added||Limited number of websites and page views|
|Track record of improving conversions for many customers over the years||No white label|
|Easy to use, even for beginners||Slow loading|
|Can schedule campaigns||Needs Google Analytics for stats|
|No file uploading|
|No designing forms from scratch|
Pricing starts from $9/month on 1 site with 2,500 pageviews and goes up to $49/month on 5 sites with 100,000 page views.
“Simple, elegant, straightforward, easy to use,” and “Drag, drop, and done.” These are the words you’ll read repeatedly in WP Forms reviews.
WP Forms prides itself on being easy to use. It’s got great features for non-techy small business owners that are looking to go way beyond lead generation.
It’s quite cost-effective if you’ve got just one site.
- Drag and drop Form Builder
- Forms include surveys and polls, payment forms, and others
- Pre-built form templates
- Instant notification
- Dynamic “conditional” forms
- View All Leads in One Place
- Multi-page forms
- Integrations and Addons galore
- File uploads
- Spam protection
- Integrates with Hubspot and Salesforce
|Easy to use, and Suitable for total beginners to WordPress||If you want to build a form from scratch, you have to figure it out on your own.|
|Stable interface over the years||No uploading multiple files at the same time|
|Constantly updated||For Hubspot and Salesforce integrations you need the WPForms Elite license|
|Unlimited number of forms||Gets expensive if you need a larger-scale solution|
|WPForms Lite is the free version|
Pricing comes down to the number of sites plus added features at each tier. 1 site is $39.60, 3 sites are $79.60, 5 sites are $159.60, and unlimited sites are $239.60.
Fluent Forms is not just beginner-friendly, it goes way beyond just a lead gen plugin. If you like your lead gen subscription forms with a ton of other form options, try this one.
The team behind Fluent Forms gives a ton of value, even with the free version.
- 66+ Pre-Built Forms including quizzes, PDFs, surveys, and payment forms
- Email signup notifications
- Integrations galore, including Zoho, Slack, Google Sheets, Stripe, Paypal, Elementor page builder, Gutenberg, and ESPs
- Drag and drop form builder
- Data analysis built-in
- Advanced design
- Multi-step forms
- Smart conditional logic
- Form scheduling and restriction feature
|Many satisfied customers and fans||Smart conditional logic can be tricky to set up|
|Generous free version (has premade templates)||Not known for gamification, animation, or vivid colors|
|Very responsive customer service and development team|
Annual costs $41-$139, depending on the number of domains. Lifetime costs $209-629. There is also a free option.
Brave is one of the fastest WordPress lead generation plugins.
It also boasts pop-ups and tons of other unique conversion tools for lead gen. Not only can you use their vast array of templates, but you can also create them from scratch.
- Wide variety of lead gen tools
- Includes quizzes, surveys, content locker
- Unlimited popups served an unlimited number of times
- Drag and drop visual editor
- Advanced forms
- Create popups from scratch
- Tracking and targeting features
- White label
- Popup animations
- Built-in analytics
|Great customer service||Max of 100 websites with the Ultimate plan|
|Easy to use||Free version is limited|
|Light and fast|
The Pro plan is $59/year. Mega is $99/year, and Ultimate is $199/year.
WP Subscribe Pro
WP Subscribe Pro is lightweight but impressive in its basic functionality. If you’re a minimalist in your wants and needs and prioritize an affordable, lightweight plug-in to maintain a fast-running website, this plugin is for you.
(That way you can focus on grabbing your visitors’ attention with content, products, and services instead.)
- Vivid, vibrant colors that are adjustable to match your website
- Popups and subscription boxes
- Can show any content that’s HTML supported as popups
- Create popups from your WP dashboard
- Simple and neatly organized control panel
- Integrates with ESPs such as Mailchimp, Drip, and Sendgrid
- Exit intent in the paid version
|Simplicity||Very limited range of templates|
|Very light and fast||No A/B testing or analytics|
|Free version||Limited integrations|
There is a free version. Then, $19/a year for unlimited sites. Extended MembershipPerfect for developers and agencies costs $199/year.
In their own words, the Holler Box team has set out to “democratize popups” with their Open Source project.
Their popup builder is designed to be super simple, lightweight, and easy to use. It features a highly functional, usable free version—and, of course, premium upgrades.
- Faux chat form and other popup templates
- Integrates with Groundhogg, Hubspot, and Keap CRMs, as well as ESPs
- Targeted popup visibility
- lPredefined Layouts
- Behavioral triggers, including inactivity triggers
- Inbuilt analytics
- Also use for sales notification, content upgrades, header banners
- Customize and place popups and banners and sales notifications on checkout and landing pages
|No limits on the number of popups, impressions, or leads||Some bugginess has been reported in the past 6–12 months after a major update|
|Very fast||Limited number of websites with all plans|
|Responsive customer service||One of the more expensive plugins|
|Open Source project|
|Free version has branding|
The basic plan for 1 site costs $120/year. The Pro plan for up to 5 sites costs $240/year. The agency plan for up to 25 sites costs $600/year.
Hustle Pro’s allure boils down to great value for the low monthly price. It’s a solid choice for e-commerce stores, and it can serve your overall marketing messaging as well as lead gen.
With Hustle Pro, you automatically get access to the WPMU Dev hosting and other web services package.
- Supports opt-ins, popups, embeds, and even social shares
- Drag and drop builder
- Popup scheduling
- 15 pro designer templates
- Integrates with 2000+ third-party apps
- Customize behavioral triggers and conditions
- Integrates with the Hubspot CRM and many ESPs
- Default access to a suite of site support tools
|Easy, no coding required||Free version gives you only up to 3 campaigns per type on 1 site|
|Option to create own, pop-ups, opt-ins, and templates from scratch||Pay for Zapier for other integrations|
|Excellent, responsive customer service|
If paid annually, ranges from $7.50/month for 1 site to $82.50/month for unlimited sites.
If popups are your main jam, and you’re a solopreneur or small business with limited traffic and just a few sites, this is a terrific WordPress lead generation plugin. Optinly is a popup maker with a super fast, clean UI.
- 6 popup form types
- Includes gamification and timed delay popups
- Customizable templates
- Built-in popup editor
- Popup personalization
- Advanced triggers and targeting
- Conduct surveys and collect feedback
- Integrates with Top 20+ ESPs
- Analytics dashboard
- Popup animations
|Clean, user-friendly UI/UX||Free version has no gamification popups|
|Very fast, doesn’t slow your site down||Capped number of impressions per month|
|Great, clean designs||Highest level plan serves 5 websites—each extra one is $9/month|
|Free version is functional|
There is a free plan. The Starter plan is $9/month, and the Growth plan is $25/month.
Find the best WordPress plugins for your website on WPhub
Now you’ve learned all about the best tools for growing your email list on your WordPress site. Hurrah! Don’t forget to learn about affiliate marketing while you’re at it. (The two approaches often work together beautifully to create income for your website.)Whatever your unique needs are, your one-stop shop for finding the best plug-ins for your site is right here on WPhub.
Melanie D’Arcy is a freelance copywriter and digital marketer focused on natural health and fitness, SaaS, and e-commerce. When she’s not writing, she’s nudging her family out for walks in the sunshine.