The Novelist is an incredibly unique theme that was designed specifically for writers. The theme uses the full screen to display your latest posts. Users can browse through posts as if they are reading a hardback book.
Whilst the index shows one excerpt on both sides of the page if you click to continue reading the post in full, the content is shown on the whole page. Posts can be divided into numerous pages and comments can be left as normal at the bottom of the page.
Why Novelist is the best theme for writers
It’s unlike any other WordPress design out there. It may sound a bit gimmicky but the page turning system works very well and the image backgrounds are beautifully integrated into the background of every post and page.
If you click on the + icon at the top right-hand side of the design, a drop-down menu will slide down. This shows a welcome message, a tabs widget and an archives widget. You can of course place any widgets you want here.
The video below shows the theme in action on an iPad.
- Responsive design (optimized for any screen size).
- Left/Right arrow key support
- Ajax pagination
- Supports Google custom fonts library
- Slideout widget panel
- Full screen image backgrounds
- Unlimited link color options
- Easy logo customization
- WordPress menu support
- Super easy admin panel using the OptionTree Plugin
- Easy thumbnail images with built-in WordPress system
- FREE version upgrade if you purchased this theme
- Advanced jQuery animations and effects
- Optimized for iPad and iPhone
The Novelist isn’t for everyone. It lacks many features that are standard on most WordPress themes. I don’t think it’s fair to criticise it for this or to compare it to other designs out there. It was designed specifically for writers and I have no doubt that many writers will love the idea of visitors using their website as if it was a book.
A regular license for The Novelist retails for $35 from ThemeForest. I recommend checking it out if you are an author 🙂
Link: The Novelist WordPress Theme